JAPANESE PANCAKES (OKONOMIYAKI)
- 1 medium head of cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh bay shrimp
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Wel-Pac Sushi Shoga (pickled ginger, or replace with equal amount of Kizami Shoga if available), minced
- 1/2 cup Dynasty Chinese Barbecue Sauce (may be replaced with Otafuku Okonomi Sauce)
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- In a large bowl, stir water and egg together, whisk in flour with shredded cabbage, onion, Shoga, and shrimp, mix well.
- Heat large frying pan, preferably nonstick, over high heat. Lightly coat inside of pan with cooking spray.
- Drop 1-cup cabbage mixture into pan, flatten slightly. Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side, or until the center is set and both sides lightly browned.
- Remove from pan. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture until all pancakes are cooked.
- Drizzle with Barbecue Sauce and Mayo before serving. Sprinkle with Aonori (dry seaweed powder) and Katsuobushi (dried shaved bonito flakes) if preferred.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 311 calories, 10 g protein, 11 g fat, 37 g carbohydrate, 527 mgsodium, 127 mg cholesterol.